Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Song Meaning & Facts: My Generation by The Who

my generation by the who 
Along with The Beatles and Rolling Stones, The Who was one of the legendary bands of the 60s. They were unique in the sense that The Who made much more 'heavier' music, but they themselves considered to be a pop band. Pete Townshend, the band's primary song writer, continually attempted to write hit songs, but The Who never had a number one! Nevertheless, their music has had a lasting impacting on rock n' roll. 

"My Generation" is among many iconic songs that The Who produced in the 60s. The song is consistent with some memorable sound effects and lyrics. One such incident is Roger Daltrey's continuous stutter throughout the song. My analysis on this is that it's an evidence of acid rock. Daltrey is simulating the effect of being high on drugs while singing. Apparently, use of drugs/ counterculture was prominent at the time.

One line that stood out of the song is "I hope I die before I get old." This line is so phenomenal! It was absolutely out of mainstream at the time. I believe this line marks the definitive inception of punk rock genre. It challenged the way 'old' folks perceived counterculture of the 60s. My only interpretation of this line is that being old is an obstacle to contemporary youth movement, thus dying early is for the betterment of the advancement of the society.

I'd love to hear what you think of the song, especially if you a big Who fan. Leave a comment below...

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
And don't try to d-dig what we all s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to cause a b-big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we g-g-get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Yeah, I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)

This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

4 comments:

  1. thanks for helping me dude

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "Old" is a state of mind, not an age thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this "I hope I die before I get old" line is nothing else than a provocation to the older generation. The teenagers in the 60s just wanted to be as different as possible to their parents, they would rather die than to become like them. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers