Monday, July 1, 2013

Song Meaning: You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC

ARTIST: AC/DC | ALBUM: BACK IN BLACK | RELEASED: 1980
Feel-good song of the 1980s, as I'd like to describe this :-), "You Shock Me All Night Long" perfectly sums up the essence of rock n' roll. It all about having a good time with your favorite lady.

Due to it's enormous popularity, the song has become a permanent fixture on AC/DC's live setlist. Furthermore, it was on regular rotation on classic rock and rock n' roll radio stations. There wasn't a party in the 80s without this song playing. It's, in fact, still a heavy favorite among rock n' roll fans even after thirty years later.

As it's often the case with most AC/DC songs, "You Shock Me All Night Long" abide by the principles of rock n' roll: sex, drugs and rock n' roll itself.
Analysis of lyrics:

She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean1 - probably means she's very athletic. "Machine "and "motor" are analogies.

Knocking me out with those American thighs4 - giving little bit about the lady's background: she's American, athletic, and as a result, has strong legs.

And we were making it11 - making love

I'm working double time16 - working hard to keep the lady happy.

Had to cool me down to take another round21 - have sex one more time :-)

Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing22 - another sex reference

  1. She was a fast machine she kept her motor clean
  2. She was the best damn woman that I ever seen
  3. She had the sightless eyes telling me no lies
  4. Knocking me out with those American thighs
  5. Taking more than her share
  6. Had me fighting for air
  7. She told me to come but I was already there
  8. Cause the walls start shaking
  9. The earth was quaking
  10. My mind was aching
  11. And we were making it

  12. And you shook me all night long
  13. Yeah you shook me all night long

  14. I'm working double time on the seduction line
  15. She's one of a kind she's just mine all mine
  16. Wanted no applause it's just another course
  17. Made a meal outta me
  18. And come back for more
  19. Had to cool me down to take another round
  20. Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing
  21. Cause the walls were shaking the earth was quaking
  22. My mind was aching
  23. And we were making it

  24. And you shook me all night long
  25. Yeah you shook me all night long
  26. Knocked me out I said you
  27. Shook me all night long
  28. You had me shaking and you
  29. Shook me all night long
  30. Yeah you shook me
  31. When you took me

  32. You really took me and you
  33. Shook me all night long
  34. You shook me all night long
  35. Yeah, yeah, you shook me all night long
  36. You really got me and you
  37. Shook me all night long
  38. Yeah you shook me
  39. Yeah you shook me
  40. All night long

Lyrics from: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/acdc/youshookmeallnightlong.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers