Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Song Meaning, Background and Analysis: Welcome to Paradise by Green Day

Welcome to Paradise is about Billie Joel Armstrong's memoir his mom after leaving her home for the first time to live own his own. According to Wikipedia (it's a got nice article on this song; you should read it as well) Billie went onto live with his fellow bandmates, as well as a bunch of other slackers.



Analysis: 

It's been three whole weeks(3) - first verse is describes Billie's struggles to adapt to the new environment. It's surely nothing like home - there's so much insecurity, and loneliness, living with a group of strangers.

Pay attention to the cracked streets(9) - cracked streets to refers to gangs, drugs and violence on the streets at night

Some call it the slums / Some call it nice(11,12) - it depends on how you look at the broken home; if you're homeless it's a paradise, but if you left a livable home like Billie they may seem as slums

Another urchin snaps and left dead on his own (18) - "urchin" is a little kid trying to live like a grownup thug. Sometimes kids get caught in the middle of gun fights between gangs and drug dealers, occasionally some die.

Feeling like my home(21) - Billie new "home," which in the heart of social chaos, now seems like his home. Maybe because it's better live life like that than having to eat the wrath of his mom everyday when he used live with her. When you're on your own you live by your own rules...

Lyrics: 

  1. Dear mother,
  2. Can you hear me whining?
  3. It's been three whole weeks
  4. Since that I have left your home
  5. This sudden fear has left me trembling
  6. Cause now it seems that I am out here on my own
  7. And I'm feeling so alone

  8. Pay attention to the cracked streets
  9. And the broken homes
  10. Some call it the slums
  11. Some call it nice
  12. I want to take you through
  13. a wasteland I like to call my home
  14. Welcome To Paradise

  15. A gunshot rings out at the station
  16. Another urchin snaps and left dead on his own
  17. It makes me wonder why I'm still here
  18. For some strange reason it's now
  19. Feeling like my home
  20. And I'm never gonna go

  21. Pay attention to the cracked streets
  22. And the broken homes
  23. Some call it slums
  24. Some call it nice
  25. I want to take you through
  26. a wasteland I like to call
  27. my home
  28. Welcome To Paradise

  29. Dear mother,
  30. Can you hear me laughing
  31. It's been six whole months
  32. Since that I have left your home
  33. It makes me wonder why I'm still here
  34. For some strange reason it's now
  35. Feeling like my home
  36. And I'm never gonna go

  37. Pay attention to the cracked streets
  38. And the broken homes
  39. Some call it the slums
  40. Some call it nice
  41. I want to take you through
  42. a wasteland I like to call my home
  43. Welcome To Paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be automatically reviewed by the system, and by the author afterwards. So follow the guidelines listed below; failure to do so will result in your comment being removed.

- Keep comments nice and clean
- Don't include commercials/links to products
- You may include a link to your website if it's relevant

Facebook Page

Old School Followers